Friday 27 May 2016

Welcome Back Alya

“Bitch, get your ass up! Don’t make me tell you again!”
I groaned at the voice yelling at me and pulling off the blankets. My roommate, and one of my best friends, Tara stood all of five feet tall but she was a force to be reckoned with when she was on a mission. And today, I was her mission.
Glaring at me as we played tug of war with my bed sheets, she finally let go and put her hands on her hips. Her long honey coloured hair was pulled back in a pony tail and her face free of makeup. She was wearing pair of purple running shorts, a coral tank top and running shoes. Stalking over to my dresser she yanked out a pair of black shorts and an aqua sports bra. She quickly threw them on my bed, then added socks and sneakers.
“I’m not telling you again, Alya. Get up, and get a move on! No more moping, no more crying and no more being buried under blankets thinking about that jackass while you ignore everyone. Today we are getting you back to the land of the living, with or without your permission!” she declared.
I looked at her, ready to spout out some excuse as to why this wasn’t happening. My mind wandered back to last night and to how embarrassed I was when they found me on the bathroom floor. I hate being wrong – like I literally think the world is ending when I had to admit I made a mistake. But Tara and Chelsea were right. I needed to snap out of this funk and move on. The angry, ready-to-get-her-life-back woman who peeked out yesterday during the cleaning spree was slowly creeping back in.
“Fine!” I huffed, “but I am NOT wearing a sports bra! This tummy doesn’t need to come out to scare the world. I haven’t exercised in weeks!” I quickly began to change and Tara glanced my way.
“Ummm Alya, sweetheart…I don’t know how to tell you this..” she begin. I started to get nervous for what she was about to say. “I really don’t advocate how this happened, but take a look at yourself. Three weeks of barely eating and living off of hot tea, and well, damn girl, your body is smokin’!!”
Shocked, I opened my closet door to look in my full length mirror. My mouth dropped open as I stared at my reflection. All my life I more leaned towards the solid look rather than slim. I never let myself put on too much weight, but it was always a struggle to keep my weight balanced.  Especially while in a relationship and being in college, so many social gatherings involved food and drinking. It was a constant challenge to not get lazy and stay in bed the extra hour in the morning, and instead go to a class or for a run first thing. 
Tara dug through my dresser and tossed me a tshirt. I glanced up at her confused, “I thought you said, I was “smoking”!”
She laughed and stated, “You are but the past month spent in your cave has left you looking like a ghost. Don’t want to burn that pasty skin! Now get a move on” she exclaimed as she slapped my ass on the way out.
Later on that afternoon, Tara and I returned home and flopped on the sofa. I had to admit, that run made me feel so much better. Feeling the sunshine on my skin made me feel alive and ready to change things up.
“What time is Chelsea off?” I asked her. Chelsea was our other roommate and another best friend. She was also stunningly beautiful, with long wavy dark hair, enormous green eyes and legs that never ended. She often spent weekends doing local modelling jobs or engagements to earn some money. Nothing fancy; just working trade shows, grand openings and at clothing stores. Chelsea always felt slightly embarrassed that it was her looks that got her jobs, not her work ethic but she had to admit the money was good so she was able to work a lot less hours than a normal part time job. This helped leave her a lot of time to study.
“I think she said she was modelling some clothes for a website for that new clothing boutique Danny’s Closet. She should be home anytime if it all went ok. Why?” Tara questioned.
A smile formed on my lips. “I think we need a girl’s night. A welcome back Alya celebration if you will. I need to drink, party and let loose”.
“Yes, yes, YES!!!” Tara shouted, jumping off the sofa. She ran over and hugged me. “I’m so happy to have my friend back! Tonight we are going to dress you up as the hottest skank on campus, get drunk, dance and get you laid!”

No comments:

Post a Comment