Monday 6 June 2016

Maybe The Grass Is Greener

The first part of the week went fairly quickly for me with school as my year was ending and there were just a few assignments and loose ends I needed to tie up. I remember how for the few years after high school I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life. It seemed like everyone else around me had all these plans and their lives sorted out. Finally last year I decided I want to work as a law clerk/paralegal. My family was disappointed in me. They couldn’t understand why I would want to be “just” a clerk when I could be a lawyer. Perhaps someday in the future I would change my mind but for now I was happy with my decision. Luckily for me, I was able to get into a program last September.  I would be starting my last year after summer ended and I couldn’t be happier. 

Even luckier for me was the fact that the girl that Tara and Chelsea were sharing the apartment with was dropping out of school (lucky for me, not so much her) so they needed a new roommate. Aside from the few months I lived with my friends who were married, I had lived at home. I was scared I was missing out on the college experience though so my parents agreed to help me with my rent while I was in school. I think they were just happy I wasn’t planning on staying at Chester’s for ever.
Tara and Chelsea each had one year left on their programs as well, although theirs were 4 years in total but they had started before me. Tara was taking human resources and Chelsea was taking marketing. With the three of us in school it could sometimes get hectic and stressful, especially around exam time but it was a blast living with them.

On Sunday night, I hadn’t wanted to come across as too eager with Brandon so I quickly sent him a text saying I just got off work and was going to bed. However since Monday morning, we had been texting non-stop. I was scared he was going to get in trouble at work for being on the phone so much, but when I mentioned it to him, he laughed. 

Brandon: Did you ever look at the business card I gave you Alya?

I replied that I hadn’t and went to find the clutch that I had used on Saturday, and fished the card out. On the front was the letter SPR embossed with some graphic behind it and through the middle was blank line stating “Sullivan Public Relations”. In the corner it had his name, with the word “Owner” under it.

What the hell? This guy owned his own company? How did I not know that? How old was this guy? I suddenly realized there was a lot more I didn’t know, than what I did. I picked up my phone and texted back.

Alya: What? You have your own company? How did I not know this?

Brandon: I guess it never came up. I don’t know where you work either.

So this guy owned his own company? I wasn’t going to tell him I was a bartender! I know it’s nothing to be ashamed of but still! I quickly changed the subject.

Alya: Umm so awkward but how old are you exactly?

Brandon: 29…is that a problem?

I swallowed. No wonder Brandon seemed so much older than the normal crowd I hung out with. I guess this explained why he had such a nice condo. I was only 22, turning 23 in September. 

Alya: Umm well I guess it depends on if you have an issue with me being 22

Brandon: What guy in his right mind wouldn’t enjoy a hot younger babe on his arm?

Finally right as we were saying good night he asked me again when he could see me. I had to work on Wednesday and then I promised my brother I’d baby sit on Thursday. We decided on drinks Friday night.

Wednesday night I ended up getting off of work a bit early. Because I am still training behind the bar, and it was so slow, the manager decided there was no need for me to hang around. Normally I hate losing any hours but soon I would be working full time for the summer and hopefully pulling a lot more tips working behind the bar so money wouldn’t be an issue.

As I walked in the apartment, Chelsea yelled “OMG Alya!! I have sooo much to tell you. You aren’t going to believe this!” Now had that come from Tara I would have taken my time to change and wash my face because everything was a big deal to Tara. She wasn’t really overly dramatic but she just couldn’t keep anything in. However, when Chelsea says it’s big you better be prepared.

“So” she started, “you know when we were at the bar the other night and you whispered to me that you didn’t know why Peter was acting so horrible? Well even more so than he has before, I mean. I found out why!!”

“Ok…” I responded, not really sure what she was going to say and to be honest not really sure I even cared. Sure the breakup hurt me but his actions the other night just pissed me off. He broke up with me, so why was he attacking me. Still, I am just human so I was slightly curious.

“I ran into Mike at Starbucks this afternoon and I went off on him, telling him he needed to tell Peter to stay the hell away from you. Mike agreed that Peter coming at you was so wrong but that he likely did it because he was so embarrassed.” Chelsea continued. Mike is one of Peter’s best friends, one who I actually thought was a decent guy, however I had no plans on us remaining friends now.

“Uh, who cares? Peter is embarrassed because the girl who he dumped was out and talking to another guy and not home crying over him? Wahhhh too bad” I rolled my eyes. 

“No!!” Chelsea smiled, I asked Mike to explain and he filled me in. Peter was embarrassed because apparently the whole reason he dumped you was because some hot chick was paying attention to him a few weeks ago at some gaming convention. She was all dressed up in some costume and all the guys were lusting over her. I guess he had one of those ‘the grass is greener’ on the other side moments and he figured if he was single that he had a chance with her.”

“So essentially he dumped me for a chick who’s hot? Yeah sorry but this isn’t making me feel better, Chels.” I slumped into the chair with my insecurities surfacing.

“My story isn’t done Alya!” Chelsea raised her eyebrows at me. “Shall I continue?”

“Sure” I muttered, wondering why one of my best friends was so excited while dragging me down.

“Well apparently, Peter added this girl to facebook and has been posting all these things on her wall and they have been flirting back and forth. So early Saturday afternoon Peter decided to drive to whatever town the convention was in next—sorry I forget where they said.” Chelsea started naming off different places, frowning as she said each one.

“CHELSEA!! Would you just finish this so I can try and understand why you are telling me in the first place!” I demanded. 

Chelsea paused, then grinned. “Apparently this gamer chick flirts with everyone. It a part of her job. The whole facebook page is her persona not her personal page. Peter showed up with flowers and asked her out.  She told him she wasn’t interested but he persisted. He told her he dumped his girlfriend and would love nothing more than to take her out. I guess she looked at him and laughed right in his face. She told him he was an idiot and to stop playing games and grow up. Best of all….all this happened in front of a huge crowd. I guess he was pretty embarrassed. He tried to play it off like it was just a dare and he knew she was only a character. Everyone could see through him though, so he left as soon as he could.”

I took a moment to take that all in. First I was hurt and upset that he could throw away two years just based on some random chick giving him attention. Then I realized how much of a joke our relationship must have become. How he pretended he was some God and he was trying to let me down easily, saying he didn’t love me anymore. Ha! The whole time it was just a ploy to get out of our relationship so he could bang some gaming bimbo.

I suddenly smiled as I shook my head and realized just what a favour he had done for me. Now I was truly free without any lingering doubts.

“Apparently Peter saw our facebook pictures, tagging us at the bar that night. He told everyone he was going to go win you back. That you would come running back to him and that he was only playing with the other chick” Chelsea repeated.

“Well” I cackled “Let the games begin. Oh wait, it’s already game over for Peter and he lost! The wanna be player got played.”

No comments:

Post a Comment